Circadian Poems

A place to celebrate poetry, poets, and the creative spirit.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

First and foremost, Happy New Year!

I want to thank all the poets and essayists who’ve helped make Circadian a success over the past few months – I truly appreciate you. I hope you will continue with your contributions, visit our site regularly, and also visit the sites of your fellow poets and writers.

Again, basic guidelines:

Poems – not more than 40 lines
Holiday and specialty poems should hover around 12 lines – I have some flexibility here, but I want to keep the work on multiple poem days fairly short
Essays, articles, reviews, etc. – not more than 1000 words

Please submit your work free of HTML coding and do not submit it as a link. If the poem has specific indentations and format, I try as best I can to hold the format, but Blogger does not always allow me to do so. Include a bio of 50 words or less with any relevant links, and let me know if you would like those links to be permanent or only posted on the day of publication.

It usually takes me 2-4 weeks to respond to submissions, depending on the influx. Rights count as one-time anthology rights – you are free to sell your work anywhere else at any time. I do ask that, if the work first appears in Circadian, that you credit it so in any future publications, but again, that is at your discretion. I am happy to post work that has been published elsewhere; please let me know when and where it was originally published.

Please do NOT submit work submitted by someone else, whether it’s your Uncle Bob or Emily Dickinson. Even if a poem is in the public domain, the purpose of the site is to share original work. I’ve received quite a few emails recently asking to swap links and cross-post – yet the work on said links are by the likes of Wordsworth, Auden, et al. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the work, but that’s not the purpose of this particular site.

Upon acceptance, I will let you know on what day your piece is scheduled for publication. Because of the high workload and small staff, I usually don’t send a reminder on the day of publication.

If, for some reason, something happens and I can’t publish on the day promised, I try to either post on the site or will do my best to let you know. For instance, if something happens and I know I’ll be out of town for a few days, I try to post everything ahead of time, so it will be up for a longer period of time, rather than missing a promised publish date. Sometimes, however, I get caught out without either computer access or the disk.

Holiday-specific poems or articles should be submitted approximately two months ahead of time, unless otherwise specified in Thursday deadlines. I try to prepare each month’s entries a full month ahead of time, so all I have to do is upload. Actually, for 2006, I’m working on the first three months simultaneously.

All submissions and correspondence can go here.

I’ve been so thrilled with the work submitted by the contributors in 2005, and I look forward to an expansive and creative 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home