Circadian Poems

A place to celebrate poetry, poets, and the creative spirit.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Friday's Poem: Tobacco Patch Princess

Tobacco Patch Princess
By Wanda D. Campbell


Ninety degrees
in dry September fields
all day long I lift
eighty pounds of green.

I am tiger lily dust
moistened from dew within,
my cocoa hair,
streaked with caramel strands.

Scarred, calloused hands
twice their age,
touched by manly nails,
hoist these sacred stalks

until sinewy limbs
longing for apple tree shade
send me to drink divine
colorless warmth.

When the sky people
with their glory eyes
peep through holes
in their velvet blanket.

I fall clean
upon fresh sheets
and make love
to my peace.


“Tobacco Patch Princess” first appeared in Story South as “Tobacco Patch Mistress”.

Wanda D. Campbell is a poet, novelist, artist and teacher from the rolling hill country of southern Kentucky. Her work has appeared in The Taproot Literary Review, Pegasus, River Walk Journal, storySouth, Midsouth Review, Farmland Publications, The Rogue Scholar and many other traditional and online publications. Most of her work has appeared the pen name, Nochipa. She is a member of the Kentucky State Poetry Society and attends workshops throughout Appalachia and the South.

Visit her at: At Home in the Cumberlands .


My apologies to Ms. Campbell for publishing the poem late. I was caught on set yesterday, and today, Blogger is refusing to publish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home